Orthodontic Externship Program
The Orthodontic Externship Program is offered to interested dental students and dentists considering a career in orthodontics. During the week-long externship, students will have the opportunity to attend and participate in classes, seminars, case presentations, and literature reviews with the current Orthodontic Residents. Additionally, externs are able to observe the Graduate Orthodontic Clinic and spend time with various attending faculty throughout the week. Students may also have the option to visit the Craniofacial Anomalies Clinic at Nationwide Children's Hospital with the residents.
The aim of the Externship is to familiarize students with our Residency Program as well as our faculty and facilities. This experience can be tailored to best suit the needs and interests of visiting students. Questions and inquiries about the Externship Program can be submitted to email@example.com (please include "Externship" in the subject line).
Externship Application Process
Potential externs can apply at any time throughout the year. Externships are granted on a first-come, first-served basis. The following documentation must be submitted to be considered for an externship:
- Written consent from the student extern's school or college of enrollment that such a visit is approved and that the student is in good standing at his/her institution. This can be done by form or by letter and signed by the appropriate administrative party (Dean, Assistant or Associate Dean).
- Current CV or resume.
- Proof of immunity to Hepatitis B or have received the first three doses of the vaccine followed by an antibody test to indicate conversion to immunity.
- Proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and tetanus.
- Proof of flu shot within the past year.
- Negative PPD test or medical clearance with positive test (required within the past year).
- Current CPR certification (all certifications must be from the American Heart Association, American Health and Safety Institute, or the American Red Cross. The certification must be for Health Care Providers and include AED training).
- Confirmation that the student is covered by health insurance.
- HIPAA online training*
- OSHA/Annual Blood Borne Pathogens online training*
- Hazard Communication Training (for non-researchers)*
- Please initial and sign the Externship Declaration of Credentials form.
Once these documents have been collected, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Externship" in the subject line. In the email, please include the dates you would like to visit.
*NOTE: Once you are accepted for an externship, the Division of Orthodontics will contact you with account information for accessing required HIPAA and OSHA/Annual Blood Borne Pathogens online training.