Postdoctoral Periodontal Program Externship
The Postdoctoral Periodontal Program at The Ohio State University College of Dentistry offers formal externship opportunities to qualified U.S. or Canadian dental students. The purpose of the externship is to expose dental students to advanced study in periodontics as well as postdoctoral periodontal students and faculty. An externship is ideal for students considering a career in periodontology to find out if this is the field for them.
A periodontal externship at Ohio State can vary in length from a few days to two weeks. There is no cost to the students associated with the externship. However, students pursuing an externship at Ohio State are responsible for their own travel, lodging and meals. A limited number of externship travel grants are offered to qualified dental students. Please see below for eligibility requirements and travel grant application information.
Depending on length, a periodontal externship at Ohio State will expose the dental student to the following aspects of the postdoctoral program: didactic portions of the program, periodontal literature seminars, treatment plan and/or surgical seminars, and clinical portions of the program. The clinical portion will include participation in the postdoctoral clinic and exposure to non-surgical and surgical techniques, including guided tissue regeneration, soft and hard tissue augmentation, periodontal plastic surgery, dental implant surgery, and IV sedation. It may also include interdisciplinary seminars.
To be considered, interested students should:
- Contact via email the Program Director (email@example.com). This email message will constitute the application for externship. The message should detail the period of time (dates) the student is interested in being at Ohio State. Students should initiate contact at least four (4) weeks prior to the anticipated externship start date.
- Submit via email a current CV.
Accepted students will need to provide the following additional documents, which must be submitted (by mail or email) to the Program prior to the student's arrival:
- Written consent from the Student's dental school or college of enrollment that his/her visit is approved and that s/he is in good standing at the Institution. This can be done by form or by letter and signed by the appropriate administrative party (i.e. dean, assistant or associate dean) and forwarded to the attention of the program director.
- Verification of health insurance coverage
- Lists of immunizations (sample form)
- Verification of CPR certification. All certifications must be from the American Heart Association, American Health and Safety Institute or the American Red Cross. The certification must be for Health Care Providers and include AED training.
- Proof of malpractice coverage (required only if student desires to be able to be an assistant during procedures and not just an observer).
To find additional information on externships please check the American Academy of Periodontology Dental Externship page.
Externship Travel Grants Available
The Ohio State Periodontal Program offers a limited number of externship travel grants ($150 - $400 each) to qualified students. U.S. or Canadian Dental School students in good standing, ranked in the top 25% of their class, committed to and accepted for an externship of one full week at Ohio State are eligible to apply. Travel grant applicants must provide official documentation of their ranking and a recommendation letter from a periodontal faculty at their dental school.