Welcome from Dean Carroll Ann Trotman
I’m pleased to welcome you to The Ohio State University College of Dentistry. We are Ohio’s only state-supported dental school, established more than 130 years ago. As an integral component of this land grant university, we have a commitment to serving students, patients, alumni, and the citizens of the State of Ohio.
We are proud of the rewarding work we do in partnership with others, including our colleagues at the Wexner Medical Center, The James Cancer Hospital, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, the Nisonger Center, and Ohio State’s health science colleges. Along with our collaborations with Ohio State’s senior leaders, decision-makers in state government, and constituents in organized dentistry, we help improve the oral health of Ohioans.
We take pride in our many strengths and accomplishments that include:
- Providing intense educational experiences for students. Students have access to world-class faculty, and they perform as part of an interprofessional health care team within the largest collection of health science colleges at any university in the United States. With a curriculum that offers advanced educational programs in 8 ADA-recognized specialties and a General Practice Residency, the College of Dentistry is training the next generation dental professionals and specialists. We also provide specialty care for patients with a myriad of treatment needs.
- Graduating more than 60% of Ohio’s dentists. Our graduates serve every county in the state. This demonstrates the college’s impact on addressing the oral healthcare needs of Ohioans and helping increase access to dental care.
- Providing the only dental hygiene baccalaureate program in Ohio that is based in a dental college. Training side-by-side with dental students gives our dental hygiene students a competitive edge as they graduate prepared to work side-by-side with dentists. We also offer online dental hygiene degree completion and dental hygiene master’s programs.
- Opening a new, state-of-the art facility in 2021. The 132,000 square foot expansion of Postle Hall includes contemporary dental clinics where patients receive superior care and students benefit from enhanced and contemporary clinical education experiences.
- Serving the community through outreach that changes lives. Through the OHIO Project, our dental students provide 45 days of public service annually. They serve patients in need while also gaining patient-care experiences under faculty supervision in a variety of settings.
- Addressing the number one unmet healthcare need in Ohio for children and adults in underserved areas -- access to dental care. Through the Commitment to Access Resources and Education (CARE) Program, we recruit students for our dental program from Ohio’s underserved communities and federally-designated Dental Professional Shortage Areas with the likelihood that these students will help to improve access to dental care by establishing practices in their home communities after graduation.
- Advancing the dental profession through innovative research. We are among the leaders in public universities throughout the U.S. for research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Whether you’re a potential patient, a student considering a dental career, aspiring staff or faculty, or if you just want to learn more about our college, I invite you to find out more about our commitment to service and the many other things that make The Ohio State University College of Dentistry special. Please take a moment to explore our web site or contact us for more information.
Carroll Ann Trotman, BDS, MA, MS
Dean and Professor