Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Externship Program
Every summer the Graduate Training Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Ohio State University sponsors an externship program. The program is designed for students who will have completed their third year of dental school before arriving and who desire additional exposure to a full scope; university based academic oral and maxillofacial surgery training program. Those students who are considering a career in this discipline are encouraged to apply.
There are five full-time oral and maxillofacial attending surgeons at the Ohio State University. Surgical activity and student involvement will be primarily at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. This is a 1,500-bed tertiary care facility serving the greater Columbus area and surrounding towns and communities. In addition, students will have the opportunity to rotate at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
The objectives of the externship are:
- Expose the student to the specialty of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Allow the student an opportunity to observe an oral and maxillofacial surgery training program at an institution different from his or her own institution.
- Provide some insight to the rigors and excitement of an oral and maxillofacial surgery residency training program.
- Provide some increased experience in working within a hospital setting.
The requirements of the externship are:
- Completion of the third year of dental school.
- Class rank in the top 20% (where available).
- Availability during the entire determined externship period.
- Two letters of reference from faculty members, at least one of whom must be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
There will only be one extern rotating on the oral and maxillofacial surgery service at any given time. Externs will spend the majority of their time under the direct supervision of oral and maxillofacial surgery faculty and residents. Although there may be some exposure to clinic based outpatient surgery; the major emphasis of the externship is on major hospital surgical procedures.
Externs will need to provide their own transportation to Columbus, Ohio. Personal transportation once in Columbus will not be absolutely necessary, as there are places to stay in close proximity to the medical center. However, if personal transportation is desired, this will be the responsibility of the extern. The externs will need to provide for their own meals. We cannot guarantee lodging within the Medical Center, nor can we provide parking for extern’s private vehicles.
Applications will be considered as they are received. Personal interviews will not be required for acceptance. Additional information is available by calling the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Ohio State University, 614-292-5574 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please complete the online application form and send letters of reference to:
Division of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
305 West 12th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210