Dental Anesthesiology Rotation and Externship Program
For Dental Students, Residents and Practicing Dentists
The Dental/Maxillofacial Anesthesiology residency program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is proud to present an opportunity to come visit with us and explore this specialty of dental practice. It is highly suggested that you complete this activity prior to applying for a dental anesthesiology residency training program.
This program enables practicing dentists, residents and pre-doctoral students in their third or fourth year of undergraduate dental education, to witness the full scope of anesthesiology training that our trainees receive at this institution during their 36-months of residency.
Please note: there are some weeks across the year when we do not accept rotations/externships due to onboarding of new residents in Summer and interviewing applicants in Fall.
This program is sponsored by The Ohio State University College of Dentistry.
Applicants from an accredited dental college who demonstrate sound academic performance in areas important to anesthesiology (e.g. anxiety & pain control, biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology), may apply for the Rotation/Externship Program. In addition, pre-doctoral students must have written permission from their home institution.
Please review the linked Externship Policy below that describe the College of Dentistry polices and the Health and Safety requirements regarding externships (applies to the 2-Day Anesthesia Rotation as well).
To apply, please provide the following in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Dental Anesthesiology Rotation/Externship” in the subject line:
- A short essay on why you are interested in this specialty and your career goals
- Letter of good standing from your dean (pre-doctoral students only)
- A copy of your transcripts
- List of several weeks in rank order that you would like to visit with our program, starting with a Monday (i.e. Rotations are Monday-Tuesday and Externships are Monday-Friday)
Once the above documents have been received, they will be reviewed and you will be contacted to set-up a short telephone/in-person interview.
If you are offered either a 2-Day Rotation or 5-Day Externship opportunity, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Immunization records (with Date of Birth) with proof of:
- Immunity to Hepatitis B, or have received the first three doses of the vaccine followed by an antibody test to indicate conversion to immunity
- Immunity to measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and varicella, diphtheria, and tetanus (Tdap)
- During the period of September 1 through March 31 of each year, documentation of the seasonal influenza vaccination
- Negative PPD test or medical clearance with positive test (required within the past year)
- Verification of CPR certification. All certifications must be from the American Heart Association, American Health and Safety Institute or the American Red Cross. The certification must be for Health Care Providers and include AED training. Note: Canadian versions of these certifications are not acceptable.
- Proof of current health insurance coverage
- Proof of dental malpractice insurance coverage
- Signed Externship Agreement
- Signed Information Systems Acceptable Use Policy
You will also receive information on how to complete the following online training prior to arrival:
- HIPAA Privacy and Security Training
- OSHA/Annual Blood Borne Pathogens
- Hazard Communication / Lab Standard
Visitors on Rotations or Externships will need to provide their own transportation to Columbus, Ohio. Personal transportation once in Columbus will not be absolutely necessary, as there are places to stay in close proximity to the medical center. However, if personal transportation is desired, this will be the responsibility of the extern. The externs will need to provide for their own meals, lodging and parking for their private vehicles.
Applications will be considered in the order that they are received.
Thank you for considering the Dental/Maxillofacial Anesthesiology residency program at The Ohio State Wexner Medical Center where our mission is to cultivate anesthesiologists who are integral to compassionate patient care, committed to innovation and excellence.