Pediatric Dentistry Externship Program for Predoctoral Students
The Division of Pediatric Dentistry of the Ohio State University College of Dentistry and Department of Dentistry of Nationwide Children’s Hospital offer the opportunity for students to spend up to three days in Columbus, Ohio, in activities related to pediatric dentistry. This opportunity is a non-funded, voluntary program, offering no academic credit.
The goal of the externship program is to provide students a broad-based exposure to the essential clinical components of contemporary pediatric dentistry under the supervision of trained specialty faculty. Please note this experience is observational in nature with no direct patient care.
Applicant Process and Qualifications
Applicants should first submit a letter (email is sufficient) of intent to the program director with requested externship dates.
Prior to arriving for the externship, all students must provide a letter from an appropriate dental school official
- attesting to their good academic standing,
- providing permission for participation in the externship,
- indicating liability coverage, and
- indicating the student’s fitness and compliance with health regulations.
Please allow several months to complete the process.
Accommodations, Transportation, and Other Logistic Considerations
Students will need to secure their own lodging. Students can elect to use public transportation, but a personal car is recommended for convenience. Meals and other costs incurred during the externship are the responsibility of the student.
The program offers a set of experiences that will acquaint the student with all aspects of pediatric dentistry. NCH is the primary site of the externship and students will have the opportunity to observe patient care in the following locations:
- Pediatric Dentistry Clinic: Students will observe pediatric dental residents provide comprehensive care to infants, children and those with special health care needs
- Sedation: Students will shadow residents in the oral sedation clinic
- Trauma: Students will observe care of patients who have experienced oro-facial trauma
- General Anesthesia: Students will observe residents or faculty in the operating room during the provision of dental care under general anesthesia
- Emergency Clinic: Students will observe the triage and treatment of dental emergencies
In addition, students can elect to shadow the on-call dental resident in the Emergency Department clinic for cases of dental trauma or facial cellulitis.
Additional Requirements and Information
Students will adhere to the rules and regulations of the Ohio State University College of Dentistry and Nationwide Children’s Hospital during the externship. Students should provide personal and home dental school contact information upon arrival, in case of emergency. An evaluation of the student’s performance can be obtained if needed to fulfill externship requirements from the home institution.
Faculty and Residency Information
The externship program will expose students to a number of full- and part-time faculty representing academic and private practice pediatric dentistry. A list of faculty members and information about our residency program can be found on the following sites:
All externship inquiries should be addressed to:Kim Hammersmith, DDS, MPH, MS
Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Department of Dentistry
700 Children’s Drive, LA Suite 5A
Columbus, OH 43205