Predoctoral Periodontics Program
The predoctoral (dental student) program in Periodontology at Ohio State has many educational facets, including didactic courses, clinical experiences, surgical assists, board reviews, competency exams, a periodontal rotation and an elective course.
The didactic courses introduce students to:
- periodontal anatomy
- periodontal examination
- periodontal pathology
- periodontal diagnosis
- evidence-based periodontal treatment
- periodontal surgery
- Students gain clinical experiences by working with periodontal faculty, postdoctoral and dental hygienists.
- Students are exposed to an interdisciplinary approach to dental treatment when they see patients in the comprehensive care clinic and in the graduate (postdoctoral) periodontal clinic
- The philosophy for clinical requirements is to place an emphasis on periodontal evaluation, diagnosis and re-evaluation because general dentists frequently must make crucial decisions on referring patients to periodontal specialists (periodontists)
- Dental students are also required to assist during periodontal surgery, which provides first hand experiences on the specialty of periodontics.
- Near the end of their third year, students must complete a manikin-based competency exam on periodontal measurements and instrumentation.
- During their fourth year, there is patient based competency exam on periodontal examination, a mock regional clinical board exam and a comprehensive written exam, which prepare them for the periodontal portions of clinical and National Board Exams. Students are also given board review sessions.
- In their fourth year, students also attend a periodontal rotation
- emphasis on periodontal topics relevant to practicing general dentists.
- Students also attend a postdoctoral student case presentation.
Periodontal Surgery Elective
- A periodontal surgery elective for interested 4th year dental students is offered on a competitive basis.
- The course includes:
- seminars on periodontal surgical procedures
- a laboratory exercise allows
- participating students may perform certain surgical procedures on patients