Observership in Periodontology for Foreign Trained Dentists
The Postdoctoral Periodontal Program at The Ohio State University College of Dentistry offers a formalized short-term educational experience for foreign trained dentists.
The Observership in Periodontology for Foreign Trained Dentists is considered a “continuing education” course and a tuition fee is required to attend. Observers do not receive graduate school credit but will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the program.
The observership follows the exact schedule of the periodontics residency program, and observers attend all classes/seminars that residents attend. The only difference is that observers’ clinical activities are limited to assisting and observing, while residents provide direct care to patients.
An observership of at least six months may also be combined with research activities for interested and qualified individuals.
Length of Program
The periodontics observership is a fixed duration program of three, six, or nine months; three months is the shortest period for which a dentist may apply and nine months the longest.
Benefits to the Foreign Trained Dentist
The Ohio State observership offers many benefits to foreign trained dentists including:
- a surgery-intensive program, with exposure to advanced periodontic and implant surgery procedures, at a major U.S. university
- exposure to U.S. dental clinic practices
- an opportunity to practice and perfect English language skills
- the reasonable cost of living in Columbus, Ohio, a fast-growing metropolitan center of 1.7 million people
- help in the decision whether or not to pursue a formal residency in the U.S.
After attending the program, most of our past participants decided to pursue and then successfully completed a formal periodontal residency (certificate) program in the U.S. Others opted to pursue a U.S. dental (DDS) program for foreign trained dentists.
If this educational opportunity is of interest to you, please contact via email the Program Director Dr. Dimitris Tatakis (email@example.com).