How to Apply
- Complete at least 9 of the 13 prerequisite courses
- Directions to check for course equivalency
- First, check the Course Evaluation Website: This website contains equivalencies for numerous Ohio schools.
- If you cannot find the course on the Course Evaluation Website, then you will want to visit Transferology
- If you cannot find the course on either the CE website or Transferology, you will need to request an evaluation of your course. Here is the link to the Program Prerequisite Evaluation Form
- We do not accept prerequisite courses more than 10 years old at the time of application.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to the start of class.
- Complete at least 60 semester (90 quarter) hours at an accredited institution.
The Associated American Dental School Application
- Complete the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) application (the earlier the better!),
- Have your recommendation letters, official transcripts and required observation hours ready to add to your application.
- Your DAT scores will automatically be reported to AADSAS.
- Your DAT scores will be imported to AADSAS directly from the ADA Testing Service Center.
- You may submit the other parts of the application prior to taking the DAT; however, the DAT must be taken before your application can be considered complete. If we do not have a DAT on file, your application will be placed on hold until the test scores are received.
- The DAT can be taken at any time through independent testing sites. We do not accept DAT scores that are more than two years old at the time you apply.
- Important: We only take most recent DAT scores into account when scoring applicants. If you have taken the DAT multiple time, only your most recent scores are considered.
- Note: We do not accept the Canadian DAT.
- More information on the DAT, including registration and preparation, can be found online at the ADA DAT.
- Submit two recommendation letters directly to AADSAS.
- One letter must be from a college science professor (While committee reviewers prefer letters from PhD level science professors, it is up to your best judgment to select your science letter writer). The other letter can come from someone who knows you well.
- We will accept and consider additional letters submitted through the AADSAS application.
- If the letter is a committee letter, we will accept it if one of the members of the committee teaches in the area of science.
- Please Note: Do not include personal letters of recommendation from family members or friends. We also only accept letters through the AADSAS system- do not have any letter sent to the Office of Admission.
- Submit all official transcripts to AADSAS.
- Include all transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions where you received credit toward your bachelor’s and/or graduate degree.
- Complete your required 40 hours of dental experience and report them on your AADSAS application.
- Prior to applying, every candidate must complete a minimum of 40 hours of dental experience. However, the average number of hours for students that are admitted is about 120.
- It is important to diversify your experiences (typically 120 hours is completed with 5 or 6 practitioners).
- Dental experience can be either paid or unpaid work in a dental field where you observed patient care (i.e., shadowing), interacted with practitioners, or had responsibility for patient care.
- Be sure you have completed your dental experience hours prior to submitting your application. If you have not completed the minimum 40 hours, your application will be considered incomplete and you will not be considered for an interview.
List your non-academic experiences on your AADSAS application. These are a very important part of your profile. To be a good fit for dentistry, you need to have outside interests, other than academics. Please report your experiences in any of these categories:
- Volunteer experience
- Community service
- Research activities
- Leadership experience
- Co- and extra-curricular activities
- Work experience
- Military experience
- Teaching experience
Ohio State processes and reviews applications on an ongoing basis. If your application is incomplete, the review of your application will be delayed. We will notify you when your application is complete or if you are missing materials.
Although we will review all complete application files, you must meet the minimum academic requirements to receive the supplemental application and be considered for an interview.
- Minimum GPA & DAT Requirements
- Total GPA Minimum: 3.0
- Science GPA Minimum: 3.0
- DAT AA Minimum: 17
- DAT PAT Minimum: 17
- DAT TS Minimum: 17
- Minimum GPA Exceptions: Candidates that do not meet the minimum GPA requirements but have a completed an advanced degree with a minimum of a 3.5 GPA or have a minimum GPA of a 3.5 in their last 45 hours of coursework may be considered for an interview.
- Minimum GPA & DAT Requirements
Once we have received your verified/completed AADSAS application, you will receive an email from Ohio State's Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions with the link to the supplemental application if you meet our admissions minimums.
- Make sure you meet the minimum requirements.
- Submit your Supplemental Application as soon as possible.
- Follow the Supplemental Essay Formatting instructions.
- Include your non-academic experiences in your AADSAS application
- Interested in the DDS/PhD Program, Research or the DentPath
- Add the Ohio state (@osu.edu) to your email safe list
Dental school applicants are selected to interview by invitation only. Notifications are sent via email approximately 4 – 5 weeks prior to the designated interview date. Emails will provide all interview related details regarding scheduling instructions, location, and pre-interview programming. We anticipate interviewing over 250 applicants this admission cycle. Interviews will take place throughout the months of October and November with offers being communicated to candidates on or after December 15th.