Our EFDA Continuing Education program begins in January. Read the information below regarding course details and the application process.
The EFDA CE program is designed to prepare qualified candidates* to apply for the Expanded Functions for the Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) board examination administered by the Commission on Dental Testing in Ohio (CODT) or the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA), and to provide experiences for quality, knowledgeable patient care as an entry level EFDA. This course includes 180 hours, progressing from pre-clinical laboratory activities to clinical experience.
*Qualified candidates for EFDA course application include:
- Licensed Dental Hygienists
- Certified Dental Assistants (CODA or DANB), or American Medical Technologist Registered Dental Assistant
- Unlicensed Dentists (with proof of graduation from an accredited dental school)
- Dental students enrolled at an accredited dental college (restrictions apply)
- Graduates of an unaccredited dental college located outside the U.S. (with translated certificate and transcripts)
All applicants must have a minimum of two years chair side experience when your application is submitted.
(Note to Dental Assistants - Your two years of experience doesn't have to be as a CDA or AMT RDA but you must have the credential when you submit your application.)
2023 EFDA Continuing Education Course Information Packet - (includes answers to Frequently Asked Questions)
2023 Application Forms:
Admission is closed for our 2023 EFDA Program.
Information for our 2024 offering will be available in spring 2023.
Class size is limited and admission is competitive. Acceptance into the course is based on the quality of application along with scores from the prerequisite Tooth Anatomy course.
- Qualified candidate as defined above
- Minimum two years chair-side patient treatment experience
- Successful completion of Ohio State CE course "Tooth Anatomy for the Dental Auxiliary"
- Application – includes personal statement, employer assessment and employer recommendation
Complete the Tooth Anatomy for Dental Auxiliary prerequisite CE course (Dates and times for the Tooth Anatomy courses should be available by spring 2023)
Your scores from this course will become part of your application.
Complete and Submit Application
In early-mid September applicants will be notified of acceptance into the EFDA Program
EFDA Program Begins
Curriculum Overview (subject to change)
Preclinical (January – April)
- Friday's (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- The preclinical laboratory time will primarily be spent reviewing and applying dental anatomy concepts, restorative terminology, and dental materials principles to the restoration of typodont teeth with amalgam, composite and glass ionomer restorative materials.
- Placement of bases and liners, placement of rubber dam, and the finishing and polishing of each type of direct restorations.
- Each student will complete approximately 100 restorations in typodont teeth during the pre-clinical session of the course.
Clinical (May – July)
- Students are required to complete a minimum of 80 clinical hours. (To be completed at your office, under supervision of your employer-dentist.)
EFDA Board Review (early August)
- This 2-day session is a required component of the OSU EFDA program. Written and typodont-based mock board examinations will be included to prepare students for the Ohio EFDA Board examination.