Congratulations to our 2017 EFDA class - 100% pass rate on the board exam on their first attempt!
The 2018 EFDA class is closed.
Our EFDA program runs January through early August. If you would like us to notify you when information is available regarding the prerequisite course for the 2019 program, please email a request to email@example.com.(Information should be available in spring of 2018.) See general information below.
The EFDA program is designed to prepare Certified Dental Assistants and Licensed Dental Hygienists to apply for the Expanded Functions for the Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) board examination administered by the Commission on Dental Testing in Ohio (CODT) or the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA), and to provide experiences for quality, knowledgeable patient care as an entry-level EFDA. This course includes over 200 hours of instruction, progressing from pre-clinical laboratory activities to faculty-supervised clinical experience in The College of Dentistry at The Ohio State University.
EFDA 2018 Information Packet - information for the 2019 program will be available in spring of 2018
Class size is limited and admission is competitive. Acceptance into the course is based on the quality of application along with scores from the prerequisite Tooth Anatomy course quiz and amalgam exercise.
- *Current CDA or RDH
- *Minimum two years chair-side patient treatment experience
- Successful completion of Ohio State CE course "Tooth Anatomy for the Dental Auxiliary" (will be offered in June and July)
- Application – includes personal statement and employer recommendation
*must be a CDA or RDH, and have a minimum of two years experience when your application is submitted.
|June/July||Complete the Tooth Anatomy prerequisite course (dates TBD - typically held in June and July)|
|July||Complete and Submit Application (Deadline TBD - early August)|
|September||In early September applicants will be notified of acceptance into the 2019 EFDA Program|
|January||2019 EFDA Program Begins|
Preclinical (January – April)
- Friday's (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- The preclinical laboratory time will primarily be spent reviewing and applying dental anatomy concepts, restorative terminology, and dental materials principles to the restoration of typodont teeth with amalgam, composite and glass ionomer restorative materials.
- Placement of bases and liners, placement of rubber dam, and the finishing and polishing of each type of direct restorations.
- Each student will complete approximately 100 restorations in typodont teeth during the pre-clinical session of the course.
Clinical (May – July)
- One day per week (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Assignments for the clinical sessions will be made in January to allow appropriate notice for students to arrange work schedules around their assigned clinic day.
- Clinical training takes place in the College of Dentistry Comprehensive Care Pre-Doctoral Clinics.
- EFDA students complete restorative procedures which have been treatment-planned and prepared by pre-doctoral students.
- All procedures are supervised and evaluated by College of Dentistry faculty.
EFDA Board Review (early August)
- This 2-day session is a required component of the OSU EFDA program. Written and typodont-based mock board examinations will be included to prepare students for the Ohio EFDA Board examination.