Our EFDA Continuing Education program begins in January. Read the information below regarding course details and the application process.
The EFDA CE program is designed to prepare qualified candidates* to apply for the Expanded Functions for the Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) board examination administered by the Commission on Dental Testing in Ohio (CODT) or the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA), and to provide experiences for quality, knowledgeable patient care as an entry level EFDA. This course includes over 200 hours of instruction, progressing from pre-clinical laboratory activities to faculty-supervised clinical experience in the College of Dentistry at The Ohio State University.
*Qualified candidates for EFDA course application include:
- Licensed Dental Hygienists
- Certified Dental Assistants (CODA or DANB)
- Unlicensed Dentists (with proof of graduation from an accredited dental school)
- Dental students enrolled at an accredited dental college (restrictions apply)
- Graduates of an unaccredited dental college located outside the U.S. (with translated certificate and transcripts)
All applicants must have a minimum of two years chair side experience when your application is submitted.
(Note to Dental Assistants - Your two years of experience doesn't have to be as a CDA, but you must have your CDA when you submit your application.)
2021 EFDA CE Information Packet - (includes answers to Frequently Asked Questions)
The deadline to apply for the 2021 EFDA Program has passed. Information regarding applying for the 2022 program should be avaiable in early spring 2021.
Class size is limited and admission is competitive. Acceptance into the course is based on the quality of application along with scores from the prerequisite Tooth Anatomy course.
- Qualified candidate as defined above
- Minimum two years chair-side patient treatment experience
- Successful completion of Ohio State CE course "Tooth Anatomy for the Dental Auxiliary"
- Application – includes personal statement and employer recommendation
Complete the Tooth Anatomy prerequisite CE course (dates will be announced in winter 2021)
Your scores from this course will become part of your application.
Complete and Submit Application
In early-mid September applicants will be notified of acceptance into the EFDA Program
EFDA Program Begins
Curriculum Overview (subject to change)
Preclinical (January – April)
- Friday's (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- The preclinical laboratory time will primarily be spent reviewing and applying dental anatomy concepts, restorative terminology, and dental materials principles to the restoration of typodont teeth with amalgam, composite and glass ionomer restorative materials.
- Placement of bases and liners, placement of rubber dam, and the finishing and polishing of each type of direct restorations.
- Each student will complete approximately 100 restorations in typodont teeth during the pre-clinical session of the course.
Clinical (May – July)
- Students are required to complete a minimum of 80 clinical hours.
EFDA Board Review (early August)
- This 2-day session is a required component of the OSU EFDA program. Written and typodont-based mock board examinations will be included to prepare students for the Ohio EFDA Board examination.