Dental Emergency Care Clinic
The Dental Emergency Care Clinic at The Ohio State University College of Dentistry is a walk-in service available to adult patients 18 years of age and over. Emergency care is provided by third- and fourth-year dental students under the supervision of college faculty dentists.
The Clinic is for patients who are experiencing:
- moderate-to-severe pain that is not relieved by taking pain medications
- oral bleeding
- facial/oral swelling
Services to treat these dental conditions include tooth extraction and root canals.
NOTE: Emergency dental patients younger than 18 should seek care at Nationwide Children’s Hospital Dental Clinic. Phone 614-722-2000 for more information.
The Dental Emergency Care Clinic does not currently provide: fillings/crowns, denture repairs, cleanings, and general wisdom teeth (third molar) extractions. Patients who need these services should become patients of the College. IV-sedation is not available as a walk-in treatment option.
Evenings, weekends, holidays, and other days when the College/Dental Emergency Care Clinic is closed, dental emergencies involving swelling of the face or neck or breathing difficulty should go to Emergency Department at the OSU Wexner Medical Center. (Refer to OSU Wexner Medical Center for pricing and billing arrangements.)
What should I bring to be seen in the Dental Emergency Clinic?
Please bring the following to be registered:
- Photo ID
- Dental insurance information (including copy of current Medicaid card)
- Name and documentation of legal guardian and/or power of attorney, if applicable
- List of medications and/or dietary supplements.
- Payment and/or insurance co-payment for services in the form of cash, Visa, MasterCard or Discover. Personal checks are not accepted in the Emergency Dental Clinic.
The average estimated cost for treatment is $231 to $310, depending on the services performed (fees may change without notice).
Patients are responsible for payment in full at the time of treatment.
- Cash, check (established patients only), Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover (including Flexible Spending credit cards).
- Health Savings Accounts (HSA) and Flexible Spending (FSA) benefit cards and checks are also accepted.
- Care Credit: For those patients who qualify and prefer to extend payments beyond the conclusion of treatment, we are pleased to offer Care Credit – the American Dental Association approved commercial revolving line of credit specifically designed for the payment of dental care. To learn more about this option, please visit carecredit.com or contact our Patient Financial Services Department for terms and conditions.
For additional questions regarding financial policies please call 614-292-0335.
We accept Delta Dental and the following state sponsored insurance plans: Medicaid, CareSource, Molina and United Health Care Community Plan. All estimated co-payments are due at time of service. Once treatment is completed and the claim is filed any outstanding balance not covered by the insurance carrier is the patients responsibility and due immediately. Patients with other insurance carriers who have out of network benefits will pay in full and we will submit a claim to your carrier asking them to reimburse you.
Accepted dental insurance plans may change without notice. Please contact 614-292-0335 with any questions.
Medicare does not cover dental services. As of January 4, 2012 we do not have a preferred provider for Bureau of Workers Compensation. A written out-of-network approval would be needed prior to the visit.