How to Apply
We strongly encourage interested candidates to visit the program prior to the application deadline. A visit will allow prospective applicants to meet and interact with current residents and faculty, and to see the attributes of the program firsthand. Please contact the program director to pre-arrange your visit.
Applications are accepted from May through August for admission the following academic year. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
All applicants must submit the following by October 1:
- Online application and required application fee (see application link below)
- Official dental school transcript
- Undergraduate transcript
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of intent
- Three recommendation letters (each accompanied by a completed Ohio State University Graduate School Reference Form). Print this out and send to included address.
- Dean’s letter (accompanied by a completed Dean's Response Form), printed out and sent to included address.
U.S. and Canadian trained dentists (or dental students) must also submit:
- Undergraduate transcripts (Official documents)
- National Board Examination Scores, part I & II (dental students: part I)
Foreign-trained dentists must also submit:
- Official undergraduate transcripts, if applicable, or official high school transcripts
- TOEFL official results (minimum acceptable score: 595 paper, 100 online) or IELTS official results (minimum acceptable score: 7.5)
- Official translation of all foreign language documents (e.g., transcripts)
International applicants (non-U.S. citizens, permanent residents, refugees or political asylees) who have completed or will complete the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree and who wish to pursue a master’s or PhD degree, must also submit financial documentation.
Address all supporting documents (letters of reference, etc.) and questions regarding the application process to:Jessica Maloney
Office of Graduate Studies
The Ohio State University College of Dentistry
305 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 614-688-5470
In the Ohio State graduate school application under Graduate Study Plan, list Graduate Programs as: Dentistry -- Specialization: OPA
Following application, candidates are selected and invited for an interview. An interview is mandatory in order to be considered for acceptance. Interview dates (typically in late October/early November) are fixed. Interviewees meet with all available full-time faculty and current postdoctoral students to receive all pertinent information about the program, its attributes and problems, as well as to be further evaluated personally as to their candidacy.
Following the interview process, applicants are ranked for acceptance and notified on a rolling admission basis. Acceptance letters to each successful applicant inform and contain the specifics of the program, to include that the program is a combined advanced degree/certificate program, financial costs (e.g., clinical equipment, books, copy services, licenses, dues, etc.), and expectations. A formal letter of understanding and acceptance into the program is required from each successful applicant.