How to Apply
We strongly encourage interested candidates to visit the program prior to the application deadline. A visit will allow prospective applicants to meet and interact with current residents and faculty, and to see the attributes of the program firsthand. Please contact the program director to pre-arrange your visit.
Update (May 1, 2020): Due to COVID19 precautions, we cannot accept visitors at this time.
The application process for the resident class starting in 2021 is now open. Applications are being accepted from now through August 1, 2020.
Applications are accepted from May 1 through August 1 for admission the following academic year. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
Application must be made directly to the Ohio State Graduate Periodontics program. We do not use the PASS system.
A nonrefundable fee of $50.00 is charged for each admission application you submit. The fee must be paid by check or money order made payable to “The Ohio State University” and mailed to the address below.
Our program participates in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program through National Matching Services Inc. (NMS). Interviews will only be offered to applicants who certify in writing that they are applying exclusively to programs participating in the Matching program.
The application deadline is August 1. The application, application fee and all required documents must be received by that date.
- Application fee: $50.00 check or money order, made payable to “The Ohio State University” and mailed to the address below.
The following documents may be emailed to GradPerioApplications@osu.edu (preferred) or mailed to the address below.
- Application form
- Match Participation Statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of intent
- Dean's Response Form, accompanied by a letter from your dental school Dean, written and signed on academic letterhead stationery. The Dean’s Response Form must be submitted even if your dental school does not use GPA or class ranking. Give this form to your dental school Dean, and request them to mail it to the address below or email it to GradPerioApplications@osu.edu.
- Three recommendation letters. At least one of the three letters must be from a periodontal faculty or practicing periodontist. Each recommendation letter must include a completed Ohio State University Graduate School Reference Form, as well as a separate letter written and signed on academic or business letterhead stationery.
- National Board Examination Scores (required from US and Canadian trained dentists or dental students only
- Undergraduate transcript
- Dental School transcript
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. If you are admitted to the program, you will be required to submit official transcripts at that time.
Checks and any hard copy application materials should be mailed to:The Ohio State University College of Dentistry
Attn: GRADUATE PERIODONTICS APPLICATION
305 W. 12th Ave. Room 4103
Columbus, OH 43210
For International Students
- English Proficiency Requirement: TOEFL or IELTS score reports are required. Obtain a copy of your results and email it to GradPerioApplications@osu.edu.
- TOEFL: Minimum acceptable score is 595 on the paper-based test or 100 on the internet-based test.
- IELTS: Minimum acceptable score is 7.5.
- If you did not attend an undergraduate university program prior to dental school, then you must submit high school transcripts in addition to your dental school transcripts.
- NBDE scores are not required for foreign-trained dentists, but will be accepted and considered as part of your application.
- All documents should be submitted in their original language, along with English language translations that follow the format of the original documents. English translations must be certified by the issuing institution or a certified translator.
- Financial documentation: Please review the financial review information found at gpadmissions.osu.edu/intl/additional-requirements-after-you-are-admitted. In order to receive a visa to study at Ohio State, you will have to submit proof that guaranteed funding for tuition, fees, living expenses, health insurance, books and supplies is immediately available and will continue to be available for the length of the program.
Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program
We participate in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program through National Matching Services Inc. (NMS). In addition to the application to the program discussed above, applicants must register with NMS and submit a Rank Order List of desired programs. An overview of the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program, and list of deadlines, can be found at natmatch.com/dentres/overview.
We do NOT participate in the ADEA PASS application service. Therefore, applicants to the Ohio State graduate periodontology program must apply directly to the program.
Following application, candidates are selected and invited for an interview. An in-person interview is mandatory in order to be considered for acceptance. Interview dates (typically in early to middle August) are fixed. Interviewees meet with all available full-time faculty and current postdoctoral students to receive all pertinent information about the program, its attributes and problems, as well as to be further evaluated personally as to their candidacy.
Following the interview process, applicants are ranked for acceptance and the program's Rank Order List is submitted to NMS. The Match then places individuals into positions based on the preferences stated in the Rank Order Lists of programs and applicants. A position will be offered to each applicant matched to our program. Acceptance letters to each successful applicant inform and contain the specifics of the program, to include that the program is a combined advanced degree/certificate program, financial costs (e.g., clinical equipment, books, copy services, licenses, dues, etc.), and expectations. Each successful applicant must return a signed copy of this letter.