How to Apply
We strongly encourage interested candidates to visit the program prior to the application deadline. A visit will allow prospective applicants to meet and interact with current residents and faculty, and to see the attributes of the program firsthand. Please contact the program director to pre-arrange your visit.
Applications are accepted from May through August 1 for admission the following academic year. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
Application must be made online at http://gpadmissions.osu.edu/apply/grad.html.
Under Graduate Study Plan, list Graduate Programs as: DENT-MS
A nonrefundable $60 fee for U.S. students and $70 for international students is charged for each admission application you submit to Ohio State for graduate study. You must pay the application fee using a credit or debit card (Visa, Master Card or Discover).
The application deadline is August 1. The application, application fee and all required documents must be received by that date.
- Undergraduate transcript
- Dental School transcript
Please see the guidelines for transcript submission at http://gpadmissions.osu.edu/apply/transcripts.html.
- National Board Examination Scores (required from US and Canadian trained dentists or dental students only): Request a Results Report from the American Dental Association, to be sent directly to The Ohio State University.
- Curriculum vitae: Upload to the online application
- Statement of intent: Upload to the online application.
- Dean's Response Form, accompanied by a letter from your dental school Dean, written and signed on academic letterhead stationery. The Dean’s Response Form must be submitted even if your dental school does not use GPA or class ranking. Give this form to your dental school Dean, and request them to send it to the address below.
- Three recommendation letters. At least one of the three letters must be from a periodontal faculty or practicing periodontist. The recommendations may be submitted via the online admissions application (see the instructions within the application) or via hard paper copy. Each paper recommendation must include a completed Ohio State University Graduate School Reference Form, as well as a separate letter written and signed on academic or business letterhead stationery.
NOTE: You should NOT upload a "Letter of Evaluation". The recommendation letters should be submitted by the recommenders through the online application, or mailed directly to the college. A separate "Letter of Evaluation" is not required.
Dean’s Response Forms and recommendation letters that are sent on hard copy should be sent to:Jessica Maloney
Office of Graduate Studies
The Ohio State University College of Dentistry
305 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
For International Students
- Passport: upload a copy of your passport to the online application
- English Proficiency Requirement: scores must be sent directly from the testing organization.
- TOEFL: Minimum acceptable score is 595 on the paper-based test or 100 on the internet-based test. The institution code for Ohio State is 1592; no department code is necessary.
- IELTS: Minimum acceptable score is 7.5.
- If you did not attend an undergraduate university program prior to dental school, then you must submit high school transcripts in addition to your dental school transcripts.
- NBDE scores are not required for foreign-trained dentists, but will be accepted and considered as part of your application.
- All documents should be submitted in their original language, along with English language translations that follow the format of the original documents. English translations must be certified by the issuing institution or a certified translator.
- Financial documentation: Please review the information found at http://gpadmissions.osu.edu/intl/financial-review.html. In order to receive a visa to study at Ohio State, you will have to submit proof that guaranteed funding for tuition, fees, living expenses, health insurance, books and supplies is immediately available and will continue to be available for the length of the program.
Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program
Beginning in 2017, we are participating in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program through National Matching Services Inc. (NMS). In addition to the application to the program discussed above, applicants must register with NMS and submit a Rank Order List of desired programs. An overview of the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program, and list of deadlines, can be found at https://natmatch.com/dentres/overview.html.
We do NOT participate in the ADEA PASS application service. Therefore, applicants to the Ohio State graduate periodontology program must apply through http://gpadmissions.osu.edu/apply/grad.html.
Following application, candidates are selected and invited for an interview. An in-person interview is mandatory in order to be considered for acceptance. Interview dates (typically in early to middle August) are fixed. Interviewees meet with all available full-time faculty and current postdoctoral students to receive all pertinent information about the program, its attributes and problems, as well as to be further evaluated personally as to their candidacy.
Following the interview process, applicants are ranked for acceptance and the program's Rank Order List is submitted to NMS. The Match then places individuals into positions based on the preferences stated in the Rank Order Lists of programs and applicants. A position will be offered to each applicant matched to our program. Acceptance letters to each successful applicant inform and contain the specifics of the program, to include that the program is a combined advanced degree/certificate program, financial costs (e.g., clinical equipment, books, copy services, licenses, dues, etc.), and expectations. Each successful applicant must return a signed copy of this letter.