Scholastic Standards and Requirements for Graduation
A minimum grade of C- or higher is required in all dental hygiene courses, area of specialization courses, and basic science courses. Students are expected to maintain a dental hygiene grade point average of at least 2.0. Students who fail to meet these standards will be placed on probation in dental hygiene. Students who fail to meet the conditions of probation are subject to dismissal from the Dental Hygiene Program. All university students are expected to maintain a university cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. Students who fail to meet these standards will be placed on university warning or university probation. Students who fail to meet the conditions of probation are subject to dismissal from the university. All required dental hygiene courses must be completed at OSU. Area of specialization courses must be completed at OSU unless a petition is approved to allow transfer credit. Transfer credit is acceptable for all other requirements, but a minimum of 30 semester hours must be completed at OSU.
If a course requirement is not completed during the academic semester, the student may receive a grade of I (incomplete) at the discretion of the instructor. Depending on the circumstances, late work may be accepted for full credit or for partial credit. All incomplete work must be submitted by the date determined by the course instructor, usually no later than the fifth week of the following semester. If the work is not completed by the due date, the grade will convert to the alternate grade and students are subject to the acceptable grade policies described above.
DH 3150, 3410, 4240, 4530, 4620: Admission to Ohio State BDCP major
DH 4420: C- or higher in DH 3410 and senior standing
DH 4430: Permission of instructor and compliance with College of Dentistry health requirements
DH 4630: C- or higher in DH 4620
Policy for Returning Students
Students who do not enroll or successfully complete any classes at the university for a period of one year or more must apply for reinstatement to the major and will be subject to the rules and curriculum that are in place at the time of reinstatement. All dental hygiene major courses and area of specialization courses must be completed within five years prior to graduation; dental hygiene and specialization courses completed more than five years before graduation must be successfully repeated prior to graduation.
Requirements for Graduation
A student who has completed the dental hygiene curriculum will receive the degree Bachelor of Science on the following conditions:
- The student must be enrolled in the OSU Dental Hygiene Program for at least two semesters.
- A minimum of 30 semester hours must be completed at The Ohio State University.
- Completion of 120 semester hours excluding courses numbered below 1000 and duplicate credit for repeated courses
- All program requirements must be completed within five years from matriculation.
- DH 4420 "Current Concepts in Dental Hygiene" must be completed during the year immediately preceding graduation. Students who do not graduate within one year of completing DH 4420 must retake the course during the graduation year.
- Completion of all required dental hygiene courses, area of specialization courses and basic science courses with a grade of C- or higher
- All course work for the area of specialization must be completed while enrolled in the dental hygiene program; prior credit cannot be used toward a specialization, including completion of EFDA at another institution. All courses for the area of specialization must be completed at Ohio State unless a petition is approved to take courses at a different institution.
- Completion of the university GE requirements
- The student must have earned a dental hygiene cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above and a university cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above.
- The student must have discharged all financial obligations to The Ohio State University.
- The student must file an application for graduation with the Division of Dental Hygiene assistant director for academic studies one semester in advance of the anticipated semester of graduation.