How to Apply
MDH Admission Criteria
- baccalaureate degree in dental hygiene, or an associate degree from an accredited dental hygiene program and a baccalaureate degree in a related field
- overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in undergraduate education and a minimum of 3.0 in the dental hygiene major
Admission is selective and competitive. Applicants are evaluated based on academic performance, contributions to the profession, and educational and professional goals.
The Dental Hygiene Graduate Studies Committee may contact candidates who are under consideration for admission to schedule an interview. Interviews will be conducted on campus; out-of-state students can opt to schedule an interview online.
Admission criteria outlined in the Graduate School Handbook applies to the MDH; please review before applying.
The application deadline is February 15. All of the following materials must be submitted by that date:
- Completed application.
- Non-refundable application fee.
- An official transcript from each college or university attended, listing all courses taken, grades and degrees earned, and dates of graduation. (Ohio State students do not need to submit their OSU transcripts.)
- Proof of an active dental hygiene license.
- English proficiency requirement, if you come from a country where the first language is not English, unless you earned a bachelor’s degree or higher in an English-speaking country.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with your academic program, scholastic ability or professional performance.
- A statement of intent describing your educational and professional goals and objectives. Explain why you are applying to the Master Dental Hygiene program and how your educational goals and research plans could contribute to our program. (300-700 words)
- A summary of relevant work, volunteer or professional experience, date and title of any publications, research experience and any professional speaking engagements.
- A list of memberships held in professional associations or honorary societies, indicating offices held or committee service, national or state meetings attended and any professional honors or awards received (include dates).